Thursday, May 12, 2016

2004 Cadillac Deville 4.6, Fuel Door and Trunk Switch Inoperative


This 2004 Cadillac Deville came into the shop with a customer complaint that neither the fuel door or the trunk would open with the switch on the dash. The customer had checked and switched fuses, but was still having the same issue.

I confirmed the concern and started investigating the possible causes.

Below is a picture of where the two buttons are located on this Cadillac.



Below, the fuel door remained closed when the button on the dash (the headlamp switch) was pressed.


Below, the trunk also remained closed with the button pressed for it.


I connected my Scan tool and while looking at the Pids for both the fuel door and trunk, I pressed each button separately. When I did, the Pid for each one registered, showing that the switch was good, along with the fuses.

Below, you can see it showing "On" and "Off" for both functions. (Sorry for the glare in the pics.)

Fuel Door switch "On" (finger pressing button):


Fuel Door switch "Off" (finger off of button):


Trunk Release switch "On" (finger pressing button):



Trunk Release switch "Off" (finger off of button):


Again, the above screen shots proved that the system was operating normally, as far as the switch and command was concerned. Now the only question was, why were the components not working?

As I investigated more, I discovered the problem. It was inside the glove box. This model has a "Valet Lock" in the glove box. This allows the owner to turn the button to the "On" position, which means a valet would be unable to access the fuel filler neck or the trunk, if the owner gave the valet the valet key and locked the glove box with the regular key (i.e. the valet key will not unlock the glove box).


Below is the "Valet Lock." As you can see, the button is pressed "On", thus not allowing the fuel door or trunk to be opened with the switch on the dash.


I simply switched the "Valet Lock" to "Off" and when I did everything was back to working properly.
\

Sometimes it is the little or simple things that are causing the problem. Probably, the "Valet Lock" was accidentally switched to the "On" position by the customer when cleaning the vehicle or reaching in to grab something from the glove box.

I confirmed everything worked properly a couple of times and shipped the vehicle!

3 comments:

  1. i would like this car how much will it be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hero! Thank you so much!
    Your final bit of advice, (the easiest solve is sometimes the hardest to realize), has me written all over it."Turn it Off, Dave!" As soon as I saw this suggestion, I realized "this Had to be it!" and well... I'd purchased new relays for both the Trunk release and the Gas Cap release, at not too much expense, but when neither helped me solve this mystery, I was sure I'd have to pay some mechanic a lot of money.
    Thanks again, for reminding me what I already knew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same had been to me glad I look you up first safe me some money

    ReplyDelete